Big Forward Network

Friday, November 14, 2008

Experience Tribute



I'm not sure if you are aware, but Jimi Hendrix is my all time favorite. Above and beyond Hip-Hop, Reggae, etc... He is the beginning of many things that I love about Rock and Roll, as well the music that spawned from it.

This is our Tribute To Jimi Hendrix, Mitch Mitchell, Noel Redding and Buddy Miles.
The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Band Of Gypsys.

It's not a mix so I can try and show you how sick I am on the cut, these guys deserve more than that. If I were given the license to put together a comp, I'd shoot for something like this.

Party At 45 RPM Tribute Vol. 1

01 Midnight- Jimi just rips into this instrumental right off the bat. I believe it was released on War Heroes originally, which was a set of Rare and Obscure studio tracks.

02 Who Knows-If you are already familiar with Band Of Gypsys, then you got this one memorized. Originally released on the Band Of Gypsys Live album If you didn't know, it's Buddy Miles on the drums.

03 Born Under A Bad Sign-Fonky Blues instrumental. Kind of kills it. First time I saw this was on the "Blues" album.

04 I Don't Live Today- The Experience from their first release. Heavy duty.

05 Driving-The Experience recorded in the BBC studios in London for Alex Korner's Radio show. Guitar solo the whole way. Kills.

06 If 6 Was 9- From The Experience's second album. Sparse but harsh. Mellow but MAAAD!

07 Villanova Junction-Jimi Hendrix's performace at Woodstock may be the most remembered and revered of the latter part of the 20th Century. Villanova Junction was part of the Star Spangled come down, toward the end of his set. MURDER...

08 Earth Blues- This is from a bootleg of a rehearsal session with the Band Of Gypsys prior to their Historic performance New Years 1969-70 at the Fillmore East.

09 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be)- From the third and final offical Experience album "Electric Ladyland". It's a long one, so twist up something nice.

10 Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)- This is the only Studio version I've heard of this, but was first turned onto it by his live performance in Hawaii, released as part of a movie called "Rainbow Bridge". Looked for it for awhile, before the whol;e internet thingy.

11. South Saturn Delta-First time I heard this was on this weird audio-mentary called Lifelines. It might have been finished posthumously, but it's interesting because he is playing alongside The Brecker Brothers. Smashes regardless.

12. Killing Floor- BBC recording. The big guitar men in the business around Jimi's time feared Hendrix because of his rendition of Howling Wolf's classic. Kills all the way through.

13 Bold As Love- From The Experiences second album "Axis: Bold As Love". One of the illest compositions I can think off.

14. Purple Haze- LIVE IN SAN DIEGO. To my folks from Daygo, your parents are probably at this joint from 1969 at the San Diego Sports Arena.

Alot of lesser known tunes I would say, but some of my favorites. Long live Hendrix.

Rock It
hugh

No comments: